Sunday, August 15, 2010

Been canning couple jars of Spaghetti & Salsa sauce this afternoon.......

Learned TWO important lessons today....
#1 - Next time - DON'T forget to skin the tomatoes! eck.
#2 - WEAR GLOVES when chopping Jalapeño Peppers !!!!!!
OMG, my poor fingers & thumbs! yup, burnt the hide right off I think.
Washed my hands in soapy water, rinsed em' in lemon juice. STILL BURNING TWO HOURS LATER!  I even had a glass of cold milk soaking my fingers in it - lol.   I've never before used Jalapeño Peppers. Actually I've never canned sauce before either. Yup, I'm always learning something important the first time I do anything. But boy won't these be good this winter when we're missing our garden.  Or so I am hoping! The last time I taste tested the sauce before putting it in the water bath I notice that the lemon juice tasted a bit stronger than it did earlier.  The recipe called for 2 cups of lemon juice for the 3 quarts of tomatoes. Doesn't that seem like a lot?  I hope it's gonna be ok.  Only time will tell. tah tah for now my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment